Are you starting a Honors Senior Thesis next year? Consider applying for the Honors Senior Thesis Summer Research Grant!
The Honors Senior Thesis Summer Research Grant enables students to undertake more demanding and extensive senior thesis research projects than might otherwise be possible. Besides recognition of an excellent thesis proposal, grant recipients are provided a cash stipend of up to $3,000 to cover research-related expenses. For example, these resources may enable students to travel to archives or research sites, to arrange participant interviews, or to initiate other research activities that require special funding.
Please attend the Senior Honors Thesis Info Session on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. in the Library at Washburn Observatory to learn more about the grant and about the senior honors thesis in general.
Review of applications and selection of Honors Senior Thesis Summer Research Grant recipients will be conducted by the L&S Honors Program Faculty Honors Committee.
- Currently enrolled L&S Honors students (Honors in the Major or Comprehensive Honors) who plan on graduating with the Honors in the Major or the Comprehensive Honors degree in May of 2014 or earlier
- Minimum 3.3 cumulative grade point average (GPA)
- Award winners may not register for summer courses that do not directly relate to their thesis research during the summer session without permission of the Director of the Honors Program – the intent of these awards is to enable students to focus on their honors senior thesis research over the summer.
Criteria for Selection:
- Strength of academic record
- Progress toward the completion of the Honors in the Major ORthe Comprehensive Honors degree(s)
- Strength, rigor, and clarity of the proposal and of the senior thesis research project to be funded
- Log into https://scholarships.wisc.edu/
ScholarshipApp using your netid and select "match me"
- Select the summer senior honors thesis grant and add to "my applications"
- Complete the full application on-line including:
- Submission of one (1) letter of recommendation from the applicant’s Honors Senior Thesis Advisor in support of the application
- A proposal of your research project using the format specified in the application
Application Deadline: Submit through the scholarships.wisc.edu website by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Notification of award status will be mailed to applicants usually within three weeks of the application deadline. Recipients of these awards must submit a copy of the completed thesis to the Honors Office where it will be bound and become part of the Honors thesis resource library.
If you have any questions about the grant or the application process, please email the L&S Honors Program Office.
NOTE: Students may not receive an Honors Senior Thesis Summer Research Grant for their research if it has been or will be supported by another university undergraduate research grant (e.g. the Hilldale Undergraduate Fellowship, Hughes Grant, Trewartha Grant, etc.).